10 Facts About Food Waste
Lets work together to solve these issues. We can be the difference.
Learn more about the problem, then the solution becomes more obvious.
- Roughly one third of the food produced in the world for human consumption every year — approximately 1.3 billion tonnes — gets lost or wasted. Source
- Fruits and vegetables, plus roots and tubers have the highest wastage rates of any food. Source
- At retail level, large quantities of food are wasted due to quality standards that over-emphasize appearance. Source
- Even if just one-fourth of the food currently lost or wasted globally could be saved, it would be enough to feed 870 million hungry people in the world. SourcE
- 160 billion of food is wasted in the US every year. Source
- Eliminating avoidable food waste in the U.S. would save 55 million metric tonnes of food per year... the equivalent of 440,000,000,000 Taco Bell Crunchy Taco Supremes. Source
- Six billion pounds of fresh produce are left to rot in fields every year. Source
- 4% of all oil we consume goes to produce food we never eat. Source
- The average American household throws away about 25% of the food they purchase. Source
- 25% of all freshwater we consume goes to produce food we never eat. Source